Another masterpiece in the making from John Haas, inspired by the Choroszy models range but scratch-built to 1/48 scale, the modified seaplane of Mitsubishi's 3MT2 design as the Navy Type 13 No.3 carrier-based attack aircraft modified seaplane (一三式三号艦上攻撃機改造水上機). The Mitsubishi 3MT2 design was the last production model for the Type 13 carrier attack aircraft and adopted in January 1931. Over to John then:-
'I had much pleasure in building my last model; so after further searching the excellent Choroszy collection I found another interesting model. This time the Navy Type 13 carrier attack aircraft seaplane variant. Fortunately I found some useful photographs and even an 3-view drawing in the 1990 Putnam book 'Japanese Aircraft 1910-1941' by Robert C Mikesh and Shorzoe Abe, and in Volume One (Mitsubishi Aircraft) of the 1981 Shuppan-Kyodo 'Encyclopedia of Japanese Aircraft 1900-1945'.
'With the fuselage ready I could carve a piece of wood for the engine which fitted the dimensions of the fuselage. The next step was to make the tail structure. Again I used some 2mm sheet and to make it more interesting I fixed the elevators in a lowered position.
'Now I could turn to build some wings. Well, compared with the fuselage they are really BIG! Again Mr. Harry Woodman* came to rescue me so I made two wings from thin sheet material and paid special attention to get a solid and stable construction of the middle part. I cut the lower wing into two halves and drilled two holes to insert a piece of large paperclip to get a sturdy connection with the fuselage.
'The next chapter was to fit the upper wing. The first step was to drill some holes for the wing struts, those being cut from 1mm sheet and sanded in profile. Fortunately the wings have no stagger which made things a bit easier. I fixed some struts in strategic places on the lower wing, then turned the model upside down and placed it carefully on the upper wing. I cemented the struts with liquid glue. When everything had dried I cemented the other struts in place. This important step went well, the wings lined up as planned. Now I could make two coolant radiators and fix them to the fuselage.
'Now I had some forward planning to do; I had to paint the wings before the rigging adventure. This was also a good opportunity to try Revell's Silver Metallic No. 361/90 Aqua Color for the first time. I had used Humbrol enamel for many years, but unfortunately, in my opinion, the present quality is no longer what it used to be (Agreed! Ed.). So the experiment with Revell turned out very well, with two brush painted coats achieving a nice result.
'Now followed some old fashioned woodworking; making the two wooden floats, I was glad that they had flat surfaces, because it is already difficult enough to get them both equal and to the right size. I painted the floats in white primer and glued copper wire on the upper part with AC.'